Monday, November 10, 2008

Savannah

Matt and I took a mini vacation this weekend that left us purely exhausted and in need of another vacation. We headed up to Savannah Friday morning, leaving in time to make lunch at Mrs. Wilkes' House. We sat at a table with 8 strangers coming from places like Washington, Oregon, and Minnesota and had the most delicious meal. They place bowls of food like mashed potatoes, stuffing, mac and cheese, fried chicken, and every vegetable imaginable and you take a spoonful and pass it on. It is like Thanksgiving dinner but less reaching across the table and nobody asking why you aren't married or with kids yet. After eating so much that I felt similar to the time me and X went to Cracker Barrel and thought we were for sure going to puke, we checked into the hotel -- a lovely place built in 1851.

We spent the rest of the day walking around and trying to make room in our stomachs for our dinner reservations at the Pirates' House (upon D's recommendation). Another yummy place. We then took a ghost tour with a lady that might just have been borderline crazy. Matt and I saw her pop a pill beforehand. No telling what she took. At one point she actually tried to open the door to a closed business as though it would be open at 10 at night and we could walk right in. She was a nice lady but she told me she slept with her bedroom door deadbolted so I have to wonder. Guess she wants to keep the ghosts out. Oh, and she broke out into song which was one of those awkward situations where you don't know if you should look at her or somewhere else.

After leaving quickly once the ghost tour concluded, Matt and I decided to visit some of the local bars. Interesting points of the night: customer yelling at bartender for throwing away his drink and meeting two black guys who their friends call "yellow" and "white" because their names are both Mike.

We left Savannah the next day after visiting Tybee Island and Fort Pulaski and made our way down to Gainesville for the Dashboard Confessional/Plain White T's/Panic at the Disco concert. When we arrived, it seemed kind of strange that there was plenty of parking. Once inside, I realized why.... all the kids there had been dropped off by their parents. With the exception of the parents there with their kids, Matt and I were probably some of the oldest people there. I almost felt silly to sing along, but those 13-year-olds weren't going to stop me and my love for Dashboard. Oh no, I am a devoted fan. The concert was great, although we skipped Panic so we can get our old selves on the road and get to bed.

We decided two things... 1.) we are old (as in my bf says he needs to wear ear plugs at future concerts) and 2.) our vacations need to involve a day where we can do absolutely nothing if we want.

Oh, and third, we really just like being around each other.

Here are some pics from our trip.

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    That is just plain cute :) I love Savannah, it's one of my favorite places. I'm headed back there next year for a girls trip during St. Patricks, yay! Did you have any Pralines? Yum.
    D said...
    cuteness! was the pirates house not awesome??? did you have the ridiculously amazing chicken?????
    Anonymous said...
    I did have the chicken after your rave reviews and it was awesome. The only problem was I did not get to appreciate it as much as I wanted to because we were so full from lunch.

Post a Comment