Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Because this morning on the Today Show, she said if she was stranded on a desert island, the one food she would want to take with her would be guacamole! Seriously, were we not destined to be friends? We could be stranded together eating guacamole and talking about how she should have gotten Katie's job instead of that Meredith Viera.

Ann has been my favorite TV journalist since I started watching the Today Show. Even though I am warming up to Meredith after my years of dislike, I still think they should have made Ann the co-host when Katie left. She is so much better. Ann is so passionate about what she does as a journalist and I love that. She is brave. While this doesn't compare to some of the hard-news reporting she has done one thing I admired that she did earlier this year was cut off 10 inches of her hair to donate for Locks of Love.

I think People Magazine got it right when they named her one of the 50 Most Beautiful People. Here is a excerpt from an article on Ann that makes me want to be her friend even more. You can read the full story here.

MORE: How did your parents influence you?

Curry: My mother died just before 9/11. She had gall bladder cancer. I was with her when she died. I was glad of that. From my mother, I got an attitude that's fundamental to me. She used to say, "gambaru." It's a Japanese term that means "Never, ever give up, even if there's no chance of winning." Gambaru symbolized her life. She survived bombing raids during the war in Japan, starvation on the rice farm where she grew up, racism in America right after the war. From my father I got this "be of service" thing. He's the guy who said, "Ann, try to be of some service." But gambaru is also why a poor girl, from a family without any history of anyone going to college --a mixed-race girl, no less; a girl growing up in a family where the mother barely spoke English correctly -- could rise and become someone who speaks in English to millions of people every day.

2 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    Awww...I love that you love Ann Curry! Did I tell you that Ellie and I got a picture with her when we were in NYC?! She was so sweet and even prettier in person. She stood there and just had a conversation with us. She totally should have gotten Katie's job - what was that all about anyways???
    Kristen said...
    I'm so jealous!

Post a Comment