Tuesday, January 16, 2007

This Week...

I hate my class. I am starting to think this grad school thing was a bad, bad idea. I keep holding out hope that maybe the next class I will fall madly in love with but I am thinking this just isn't like my J-school days. We had class yesterday. On MLK Day. What students agree to go to class on their scheduled day off? The ones in my class do. The only plus side to having to go to class on a day when all other state-run facilities are closed is that our professor brought in wine and cheese and bread. I really wanted to get a second and third glass of wine to make it through the agonizing two-plus hours but I didn't want to be the class lush.

Anyways, my class is basically about the environment and the way the media covers environmental issues. I guess when I saw environment in the title I was thinking our social surroundings, not trees and air and global warming. I know, I know... those are things I should care about, but I guess it is just not what I had in mind for my grad school class and for helping me become a more well rounded communications professional. Alas, I will try and keep a positive outlook on the semester but it will be hard. Between discussing organic products and the boy in my class who talks in circles just to talk, I might just go crazy and spend lots of money on foods cooked in trans fat and a nice big Hummer that guzzles gas.

Speaking of trans fat, tomorrow Aubree and I begin swimming laps bright and early. I bought a speedo that looks absolutely ridiculous on me. They don't make those things for people who have hit puberty. We are debating the goggles and cap but I might need to get it just to further disguise myself.

The exercising will be canceled out by the fact that this is my birthday week. I think I have looked less forward to this birthday more than any other. Well, except for 23 which was a craptacular birthday. I have a lot of food outings that will mean some extra laps in the pool or a hardcore fast. On Wednesday, I am going to Chez Pierre with Matt. Finally, after however many years of living in Tallahassee I get to go to friggin Chez Pierre. Je suis si excité. Then I have lunch with Laurie and Sammy on Thursday followed by my usual ritual of Melting Pot dinner with the fam (and my two extended family members). And to cap it off, on Friday, I get to stuff myself with my most beloved food - guacamole... I mean Mexican food. Can someone just pump my stomach Saturday morning? Thanks.

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Sorry the class is going so sucky, I hope it improves. Although, free wine? Yay. I'd go to class for that.
    Let me know how the swimming goes.

    AND you will love Chez Pierre it's one of my favs here in town.

    See ya Friday b-day girl!

    ps - Cheer up, it's not like your turning 30!
    Anonymous said...
    Thanks Mel! Yes, if I knew every class would involve I think I could really love the class.

    I'll give you a full Chez Pierre report on Thursday.
    D said...
    chez pierre is yummers. get the brie en croute it is so so good!

Post a Comment