Friday, April 13, 2007
"A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same. " ~Elbert Hubbard
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what amazing friends I have in my life. I think about any hard time I’ve gone through, any happy time, any time at all, and I’ve been fortunate to know there are people in my life who will accept my call no matter what time it is and listen to me no matter how long it takes. I am not the easiest person. I have my ups and downs, I can be difficult, I can be irrational, my ideas and thoughts can shift from minute to minute, I often follow my heart more than logic, I get my feelings hurt easily, and I have to talk everything out until I feel better. But I have people who accept me and will listen to me say a thought I’ve said 10 times before.
I have a friend who I know will always give me good advice, who will talk things out with me and ask me the kinds of questions that make me take a deeper look within myself. This friend will call me out when need be, yet provide me loyal support. I have a friend who has seen me at some of my lowest points and some of my highest points, and who will undoubtedly tell me, “I support you,” no matter what I do. This person will bitch with me, encourage me not to accept another person’s bad behavior, yet never tell me “I told you so,” when I do. I have a friend who has had many similar experiences to my own and who approaches relationships and people with the same openness and faith. I can share my thoughts easily, because I know this person understands why my thoughts and actions are what they are. I have a friend who I can call or e-mail 12 times a day to tell the most insignificant of thoughts to, who relies on me to be there for the 12 calls or e-mails they send my way too. And those thoughts don't feel so insignificant. I have a friend who is always there to give me motherly advice, stand in my corner, and bring me chocolate just because it makes me happy. This person lets me be a part of their family and teaches me wisdom that is only mastered through years of experience. I have a friend who would drop anything to help me, or anyone for that matter. Who is one of the most selfless persons I know, who is there for me each day to talk to... even about smelly bathrooms and who will get excited with me over whatever party planning we can get our hands on.
And that's not all. I have friends who have been by my side since I was an awkward 6 year old with jelly shoes and fluorescent socks or 14 with permed hair and bangs. Who will dance to 80s music with me just cause they know I like it or who will spend a whole day fixing my car. Friends who will sing "Drops of Jupiter" at the top of their lungs with me and friends who will drive really far distances just so I don't have to go alone.
And all these people are so much more than what they've been for me. They are beautiful, they are kind, they are loyal, and they are smart. They are the people you want to stand by your side when life isn't exactly what you want it to be and who will be cheerleader for you when everything seems to be going right. They are the confidantes that help make life make a little more sense or the solid foundation when there is just no making sense of it. And I don't think I'd want to make sense of it without them.
While I am no Oprah fan, she said something that I really liked, "Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down." I am lucky to have found those people who will ride that smelly beat up greyhound bus with me.
2 Comments:
-
- D said...
5:18 PMeven when you let scary ppl at the terminal into your car :) loves you too :)- Anonymous said...
5:25 PMYou are a wonderful person, who I am very blessed to have as my friend. : ) Cheers to many more years of riding the bus together!